There’s no doubt about it, beautifully prepared food, attractively displayed, can prove to be irresistible. So choosing the right servery and food display equipment is a key issue for any catering business.
The choice however can be bewildering, with a vast array of manufacturers and models available – offering heated, ambient and refrigerated solutions. Here are some general guidelines and points to consider…
First and foremost you should always choose a reputable manufacturer to be sure of compliance with all relevant regulations, and to ensure ongoing service and spare parts availability.
Another sound piece of advice is to think about your future needs as well as your present needs. Try to buy the best unit that funds will allow, providing you with extra capacity as your business expands.
But what else should you look for?
- Ensure that units look stylish and modern, especially if they will not be fully stocked all the time. However, the design should not detract from the products you are trying to display.
- On refrigerated units, ensure that temperatures meet all food legislation requirements and that they have automatic defrost and water evaporation functions. Good units should have a digital temperature display to enable you to check the cabinet temperatures.
- Heated units should have good heat distribution and may have a humidifying feature to prevent foods drying out.
- Consider the layout of the units; for example, you may need to specify self-service or back service options. Refrigerated units may offer a choice of compressor on the left or right or even attached to the underside, out of sight; they should not be too loud or generate too much heat.
- Units should be easy to clean at the end of the day without any hidden dirt, crumb or water traps.
- The back service units should have double glazed glass to the rear to help retain heat within the cabinet.
- Does the unit have internal illumination to show your products off to their best advantage?
- Finally, you can always talk to us at busychef.co.uk! We offer the benefit of 30+ years in the foodservice industry, and will visit you on site to see how the unit will be used.